BFW Self-Guided Course Tours are designed with your schedule in mind - they're on-demand, self-paced, and provide you with everything you need to know to get started using BFW materials successfully in your classroom.
Each course contains short videos that review the AP® Exam (where applicable), the student edition, and teacher resources. The videos are all less than 3 minutes long, so they're easy to watch in-between classes, during prep, or whenever you need a refresher on your textbook program. At the end of the course, you'll receive a Program Guide to use as a reference of your materials, as well as a lesson planning guide to help you get started.
This market-leading AP® Euro text has been long praised by instructors and students alike for its readability and attention to everyday life. Now, this twelfth edition also addresses unique aspects of the AP® history redesigns.
A new part structure and “Thinking Like a Historian” feature combine with the respected primary source program, expanded chapters devoted to the lives of ordinary people, and the best and latest scholarship to make history interesting and memorable to students. With an emphasis on AP® concepts, themes, and skills, the new AP® features help students master the content, concepts, and skills required to conquer the AP® exam.
Features make this text the leading choice for AP® European History:
- The primer on historical thinking skills has been updated to reflect the Fall 2015 “redesign” skills.
- A new 4-part structure organizes chapters according to the AP® course framework.
- Each part openers explain AP® concepts represented in that part and includes key questions that target understanding of themes.
- “Evaluate the Evidence” and “Thinking Like a Historian” features build student proficiency in in historical thinking, analysis, and argumentation. Features make this text a favorite for students:
- Emphasis on social history. A History of Western Society has a long-standing tradition for the finest coverage of social and cultural history, an essential component of the AP® course. Students enjoy the relatable stories about ordinary people integrated into important economic, political, and intellectual developments. Authors Merry Wiesner-Hanks, Clare Crowston, and Joe Perry bring the latest in scholarship, along with extensive experience with AP® teachers.
- “LIFE” chapters. Often called student favorites, the “LIFE” chapters (Chapters 18, 22, and 30) immerse students in the patterns of daily life in a given era and feature a new "The Past Living Now" essay which connects life today with origins in the past.
- Opportunities for analysis. With more than 100 written and visual primary sources that illuminate the narrative and popular features such as the "Individuals in Society" biographical portraits and "Living in the Past" visual essays, students connect to the past through an array of evidence and engaging features.
- Images that bring the past to life. A History of Western Society has been praised for having the most visually appealing map and art program available. More than 600 contemporaneous images—including paintings, photographs, artifacts, and more—allow students to visualize the past. Additionally, the extensive map program with questions that prompt critical thought helps students understand context and make connections as they read.
Features make this text a favorite for teachers:
- New Teacher’s Resource Materials. Employing many of the favored features in the previous edition’s AP® Teacher’s Resource Guide, such as teaching suggestions, lecture outlines, and lecture strategies, the new Teacher’s Resource Materials also includes worksheets, maps, and PowerPoint presentation slides.
- ExamView® Redesign Testbank. Updated to the 12th edition, this disc provides two test banks in one: content-based questions that correlate to chapter-based material and AP®-style questions for four complete sample exams.
- Sources for Western Society. This companion document reader expands the number of primary sources available to teachers of AP® European History.
- Strive for a 5: Preparing for the AP® European History Exam. Updated to correspond to the redesigned AP® course, this study and prep guide offers a firm foundation of support for students and teachers.