To schedule a 1:1with a member of our Customer Experience team, go
The Practice of Statistics is the most trusted program for AP Statistics because it provides teachers and students with everything they need to be successful in the statistics course and on the AP Exam.
Reading Features That Highlight the Big Ideas
- Learning Objectives at the beginning of each section, help students focus on mastering essential skills and concepts as they work through the chapter.
- Definition boxes explain important vocabulary and are easily located for quick reference
- Caution Icons alert students to common mistakes made at that specific point in the chapter.
- Margin boxes explain how to set up graphs or calculations, or recap important concepts.
- Think About It offers critical thinking questions that help students make connections and deepen their understanding of important concepts.
- AP Exam Tips give advice on how to be successful on the AP Exam.
Learn Statistics by Doing Statistics
- A Hands-On Activity introduces the content of each chapter. Many of these activities involve collecting data and drawing conclusions from the data. Others ask students to use dynamic applets to explore statistical concepts.
- Data Explorations cast students in the role of data detective, with the goal of answering a puzzling, real-world question by examining data graphically and numerically.
- Check Your Understanding questions throughout the section, help clarify definitions, concepts, and procedures (answers in the back of the book).
- Examples present statistical ideas in familiar, recognizable contexts
- Four-Step Examples (“State, Plan, Do, Conclude”) help students develop good problem-solving skills, setting the stage for the more complex problems like those on the AP Exam.
- Each Example has a corresponding For Practice exercise in the Section Exercises, referenced to the page in the chapter where the appropriate model appears.
- A Play icon in the text indicates that there is video walkthrough of the example available.
- Section Summaries help students review the chapter before proceeding to the exercises
- Exercises span differently levels of difficulty. Most are in odd- and even-numbered pairs, with both exercises covering the same skill or concept.
- Icons next to selected problems indicate:
o The problem goes with an Example in the section
o A step-by-step instructional video relevant to the problem is available
o The problem draws on an earlier section in the text
o The problem goes with one of the 4-Step Examples (“State, Plan, Do, Conclude”)
NEW TO THIS EDITION
NEW! Tutorial Videos, are indicated in the student text with a “play button” icon, and linked into the student and teacher e-Books and the Book Companion Site (BCS). These videos feature:
- Worked Examples—experienced AP teacher and learning specialist Jason Molesky walks through key examples step by step just as a teacher would in class.
- Worked Exercises—these instructional videos by AP veterans Doug Tyson and Paul Buckley work through the book’s “For Practice, Try” Exercises, giving students help when and where they need it.
- Technology—Clear, keystroke-level instructions for using the TI-83/84, TI-89, TI-Nspire, and the new HP Prime calculators.
NEW! Learning Objectives introduce the key takeways for each section. A summary table in the Chapter Review revisits the objectives, connecting them with key examples and exercises.
FRAPPY! (aka Free Response AP Problem, Yay!)
The new edition offers even more Free Response Question (FRQ) practice with the integration of this long-form AP -style problem, with directions, scenario, calculation, and scoring rubric developed by StatsMonkey creator Jason Molesky. An instructional video features Jason demonstrating the FRAPPY method to help students master FRQ’s.
Enhanced and Paired Multiple Choice Questions— the end of section multiple-choice questions now offer a broader range of difficulty level. Multiple-choice questions are PAIRED to facilitate homework assignments.
Thorough updates to the data and Technology Corners—the Technology Corners now reflect the new TI-83/84 Silver Edition Plus with color and the New TI-Nspire graphing calculator. Technology tutorial videos are available.